I love teaching young adults with intermediate English skills. Reason 1: I learn a lot about the lives of young Lao people. 2: Most of them are really motivated to study English, you don't have to kick their a* all the time. 3: They ask tricky questions.
In my evening class, most of the students are between 16 and 20 years old. Some of them there are really bright, and I just had quite a long conversation with a guy whose main hobby it is to study English. He really challenged me, in a very polite and interested way! Not someone to be satisfied with half-baked answers.
So now I've got some questions to the native English speakers among you guys. Help - I need the answers until Monday!!
* How would you explain the use of the word "basically"?
* Can you say that someone is "practical"? (My guess: Yes, if this person can do things like fix a lamp or weld metal)
* Why does English have so many phrasal verbs? :)
* Is a "tendency" the same as a "habit"? (OK, I was able to explain that one...)
He even taught me an idiom: "put all eggs in one basket". Apparently it means the same as "go all in", or "risk everything". I like the expression!

1 Kommentar:
gibt es keine 'guys', die deine Hausaufgaben lösen können? Oder sieht man da mal wieder, wie leicht man Wendungen gebraucht, die vielleicht gar nicht korrekt sind?
Also 'guys' ...
ma
Kommentar veröffentlichen